Embed from Getty Images
There are four Premier League matches tonight, including league leaders Liverpool looking to capitalise on Manchester City’s surprise defeat to Newcastle United last night. Meanwhile Spurs and Chelsea will be looking to strengthen their hold on a Champions League place.
The matches kick off at 7.45pm unless otherwise stated.
Here are the factz you need to know:
AFC Bournemouth v Chelsea
- Chelsea beat Bournemouth 2-0 at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season. They also beat them 1-0 in the EFL Cup.
- Bournemouth’s win against West Ham last time out was their first victory in 5 matches.
- Chelsea have won 4 of their last 7 matches in the Premier League, losing 2.
- If Callum Wilson scores for the Cherries tonight, it will be his 50th goal for the club.
- Goalscoring is a problem for Chelsea – they’ve found the net just 13 times in their past 12 PL matches.
Liverpool v Leicester City (8pm)
- Liverpool beat Leicester 1-2 at the King Power Stadium back on 1 September. However, the Foxes gained some revenge 8 days later by beating the Reds 2-0 in the EFL Cup.
- The Reds are unbeaten in 32 Premier League matches at Anfield. They have won 23 of those matches.
- Leicester have lost 4 of their last 5 matches in all competitions.
- Liverpool have kept 13 clean sheets this season – more than any other side in the division.
- Jamie Vardy loves playing against Liverpool – he’s scored in his last 5 appearances against them.
Southampton v Crystal Palace
- Saints beat Palace 0-2 at Selhurst Park earlier in the season.
- Southampton have won their last 2 PL matches – they haven’t managed 3 in a row since the end of the 2016/17 season.
- Meanwhile Palace are aiming not to lose 3 consecutive matches in the PL.
- Saints have kept just 1 clean sheet in their last 13 matches.
- Palace however are good away from home and have won 13 of their 22 points on the road. They have also scored more than 1 goal in each of their last 4 away matches.
Tottenham Hotspur v Watford (8pm)
- Watford beat Spurs 2-1 at Vicarage Road earlier in the season. The Hornets have never done the double over Spurs.
- However, Spurs have won their last 8 home matches against Watford, scoring 22 goals in that run.
- Spurs have lost 4 of their last 5 matches in all competitions, including the loss on penalties to Chelsea in the EFL Cup.
- Watford are unbeaten in 4 in the PL, and also unbeaten in their last 4 away matches in the PL.
- Spurs are the only side in the division not to draw a match this season. If they win or lose they will equal Bolton’s PL record of 28 matches without drawing.
Embed from Getty Images
A raft of Premier League clubs are seeking to sign Monaco’s Belgian international midfielder Youri Tielemans on loan before the transfer window shuts tomorrow [January 31].
Clubs including Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, West Ham United, Newcastle United and Leicester City are all reported to be interested in taking the 21-year-old on loan.
Tielemans is one of the most highly rated young players in Europe. He played for Belgium at the World Cup last summer and joined Monaco from Anderlecht for £20 million in the summer of 2017. Yet he is deemed surplus to requirements at Monaco – despite their struggles at the bottom of Ligue Un this season – by returning manager Leonardo Jardim.
While Arsenal are close to tying up a loan deal for Barcelona star Denis Suarez, boss Unai Emery wants to add more to his midfield, with Tielemans an option alongside Inter Milan’s Ivan Perisic and Everton’s Idrissa Gueye.
Meanwhile Spurs need reinforcements to deal with a deepening injury crisis – and having sold Moussa Dembele – and Tielemans fits the mould of a Pochettino signing in being young and attack-minded.
West Ham and Newcastle are also looking for quality midfield reinforcements before the transfer window shuts.
However, Leicester City could beat all of these sides to landing Tielemans as they are apparently willing to do a swap deal for him with Adrien Silva moving in the other direction.