Embed from Getty Images
England return to action for the first time since the summer by resuming their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign against Bulgaria at Wembley Stadium.
A win today would strengthen the Three Lions’ grip on Group A. Bulgaria meanwhile need a win to enhance their chances of qualifying.
The match kicks off at 5pm and it is live on ITV. Here are the factz you need to know:
* England top Group A with 6 points, having played a game fewer than their nearest challengers.
* Bulgaria are bottom, with 2 draws and 2 defeats from their opening 4 matches.
* England last met Bulgaria in September 2011 in a qualifying match for Euro 2012. The Three Lions ran out 0-3 winners in Sofia.
* There have been 10 previous meetings between the sides and England have never lost. They have won 6 and drawn the others.
* James Maddison could win his first England cap today. Since the start of last season in the Premier League, he has created 109 chances – 39 more than any other Englishman.
* Mason Mount could also feature after scoring 2 goals in his first 4 Premier League matches. He has played for England at every level from under-16s.
* Jordan Henderson and Raheem Sterling are England’s most experienced players, with 51 caps each.
* Harry Kane has most goals in the current squad with 22 strikes in 39 appearances.
* Bulgaria have a similarly inexperienced squad to England. Only captain Ivelin Popov has more than 50 caps (84).
* Popov is also top scorer in this squad with 15 goals. No other player in the squad has more than 2 international goals.
Embed from Getty Images
It’s the opening round of Euro 2020 qualifiers this week and in Group A England take on the Czech Republic at Wembley.
England are looking to build on their recent successes after getting to the semi-finals of the World Cup and reaching the Nations League semi-finals within the past 12 months.
Meanwhile the Czech Republic are looking to reach yet another Euro finals, having missed out on the 2018 World Cup.
The match kicks off at 7.45pm and it is live on ITV. Here are the factz you need to know:
* This is the first meeting between the sides since the Czech Republic was formed in 1992. The previous matches, both friendlies, ended in a 2-0 win to England in 1998 and a 2-2 draw in 2008.
* England are unbeaten in their last 18 Euro qualifying matches – including winning their last 10 in a row.
* Their last defeat was in November 2007 to Croatia, the infamous ‘wally with the brolly’ match which was Steve MacLaren’s last in charge of the Three Lions.
* Czech Republic have qualified for every Euro tournament since 1992, finishing as runners-up in 1996.
* The Czechs have won 3 and lost 3 of their last 6 matches. Included in that run was a 5-1 hammering by Russia.
* England have won 10 of their 15 home matches under Gareth Southgate, losing just once.
* Harry Kane has scored 15 goals in his last 17 matches for England. This includes a run of 6 matches in the middle without a goal.
* Captain Borek Dockal has the most goals in the Czech squad with 6, one ahead of Burnley’s Matej Vydra.
* Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson is the most capped player in the England squad with 48. He’s yet to score for the Three Lions.
* Harry Kane has the most goals in the England squad – he’s scored 20 in 35 appearances.
We bring you the very best content of the beautiful game we all live, breathe, sleep