Italian side Roma want to continue their transfer spree by signing Arsenal midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan on loan.
Roma have already signed nine players this summer including Davide Zappacosta from Chelsea and Chris Smalling from Manchester United on loan.
Sky Sports has reported that Armenian international Mkhitaryan is in Rome to finalise the deal. It is believed Roma will pay a loan fee as well as his wages, but do not have an option to buy at the end of the season.
Mkhitaryan joined Arsenal in January 2018 from Manchester United as part of the deal that saw Alexis Sanchez move in the other direction.
During his time at the Emirates, he has made 59 appearances and scored 9 goals.
The loan deal suits all parties. Roma were in the lookout for an attacking midfielder, while Mkhitaryan was likely to have a limited amount of playing time this season. It also means some of Arsenal’s young players, such as Reiss Nelson, will have more of a chance.
It’s the first North London derby of the season, with Tottenham Hotspur making the short trip to The Emirates Stadium to take on old foes Arsenal.
While both sides have made good starts to the new season, all form goes out of the window for this match. Bragging rights are at stake and both sides will be gunning – pardon the pun – for the three points.
The match kicks off at 4pm and it is live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League. Here are. The factz you need to know:
* Arsenal won this fixture 4-2 last season, coming back from 1-2 down. The return ended 1-1. Spurs also beat the Gunners in the Carabao Cup last season.
* This is the 185th North London derby in league and cup matches. Arsenal have won 78 to Spurs’ 58.
* Spurs have a terrible record at Arsenal in the Premier League era. In 27 previous attempts, only on two occasions have the left with all three points.
* Arsenal have started with two wins from three, but in their last 10 PL matches they’ve lost 5 and won 4.
* Spurs’ record isn’t much better – they’ve won 4, lost 4 and drawn 2 in their last 10 PL matches.
Arsenal left back Nacho Monreal can leave the club for Real Sociedad this week – if he wants to go.
The Sun has reported that Sociedad have offered 33-year-old Monreal a two-year deal with the option of a third.
Monreal is in the final year of his Gunners deal and knows that he will not be offered a new deal at the end of it. However, manager Unai Emery would be happy for the player to stay until the end of his contract and leave as a free agent in the summer.
Monreal is currently in the first team picture as newly-signed rival Kieran Tierney is our injures until October. But it is thought his opportunities will lessen once the Scot is fit again.
If Monreal does leave, Arsenal will demand a £3 million fee for him – which would not present a barrier.
The ball is in the Spaniard’s court – the European transfer window shuts on September 2.