Newcastle United could face a battle to keep hold of captain Jamaal Lascelles in January with two title chasing clubs said to be interested in signing him.
Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur sent scouts to watch the central defender recently, according to the Newcastle Chronicle.
Lascelles has been a stand-out performer for Newcastle since they returned to the Premier League. Being England-qualified is also an attraction for clubs looking to get more domestically-produced players in their squad.
Newcastle refused to consider selling him in the summer and would attempt to again in January as they try to hold on to their Premier League status.
But whether they can hold onto 24-year-old Lascelles May hinge on how much is offered – everyone has their price – and whether manager Rafa Benitez stays with the club.
It may be that clubs have to wait until the summer. If Newcastle are relegated, they would struggle to hold on to such a highly rated player.
If they were to sell, they could charge top dollar are Lascelles is contracted to the Magpies until 2023, having signed a new deal. It seems Lascelles is committed to the club, and is a leader on and off the pitch.
Premier League title chasers Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are among the clubs who could bid for Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele in January if the club decide to sell him.
French star Dembele, rated as one of the best young players in the world, has struggled to settle at Barcelona since his move in 2017, hampered by injuries and a failure to find his best form.
Now, it seems Barca bosses are losing patience with him and will encourage him to find another club in January, according to The Sun
If this is the case, then several Premier League clubs would no doubt be interested. Arsenal have been linked with him in the past, and Dembele had a good partnership with Gunners striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang when they were at Borussia Dortmund.
London rivals Chelsea could also be interested – they are known to be looking for a striker and Dembele would complement players such as Eden Hazard and Olivier Giroud.
Liverpool could also be another destination – his style of play is similar to Jurgen Klopp’s strike force.
It isn’t known whether Barca would look to sell or send Dembele out on loan. If they sell, they would want to recoup the initial £97 million they paid Dortmund for him less than 2 years ago. That price is within the compass of all three clubs mentioned.
Of course, other European sides would be interested including the usual suspects such as Paris St-Germain, Juventus and AC Milan.
Monday night football returns to the Premier League tonight with a mouth-watering top of the table clash between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City at Wembley Stadium. The match kicks off at 8pm and it is live on Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Main Event. Here are the factz you need to know:
* Manchester City did the double over Spurs last season, winning 1-3 at Wembley Stadium and 4-1 at the Etihad.
* Spurs are off to their best start to a PL season, with 21 points from their 9 matches. A win tonight will see them leapfrog City into third with the same points as second-places Chelsea but behind on goal difference.
* City are also in form – unbeaten this season with 7 wins and 2 draws. They will go top of the Premier League on goal difference with a win tonight.
* Spurs have kept 3 consecutive clean sheets – they haven’t managed 4 in a row since April 2017. However, City have managed 4 in a row.
* If Sergio Aguero scores, it will be his 150th in the Premier League. He will be the 9th player to reach that mark if he does
A host of top European clubs including Manchester United, Chelsea and Juventus are considering signing Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey in the summer.
Ramsey, 27, is out of contract at Arsenal in the summer so can sign for a new club for free. He had been in negotiations over a new 4-year deal with the Gunners – and was set to put pen to paper – but the club suddenly withdrew the offer.
Understandably, there are a number of clubs interested in picking up the Welsh international for free. Especially given that he is in the peak years of his career and would ordinarily cost about £50 million.
Premier League rivals Manchester United and Chelsea have been linked to Ramsey. Reports have also said Italian sides Juventus and AC Milan and Spanish side Valencia are also monitoring his situation.
With Ramsey resigned to leaving the Emirates Stadium in the summer, he can be consoled by the fact he won’t have a shortage of clubs that do want him on their books.
The final match in the Premier League today is Manchester United v Everton at Old Trafford, with both sides gunning for a win to catch up with the leaders. The match kicks off at 4pm and it is live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League. Here are the factz you need to know:
* This must be one of United’s favourite fixtures; they’ve won this one 35 times in the Premier League era.
* United have 14 points from 9 games – the same as in 2016/17.
* Everton are in form with 3 wins out of 3. They haven’t won 4 on the spin in two years.
* If United lose, it will be the first time they have lost 4 of their opening 10 fixtures in a season since 1990.
* Both sides have scored 15 goals so far this season, so goals should be expected.
We bring you the very best content of the beautiful game we all live, breathe, sleep