Bosses at David Beckham’s new MLS franchise, Inter Milan, are targeting signing Barcelona star Lionel Messi in time for the club’s debut season in 2020, according to reports.
Beckham’s club have been linked with a raft of high-profile names as the club seeks to make an instant impression on the league, and apparently executives at several MLS clubs think they will make a bid for the player.
Messi is contracted to Barcelona until the end of the 2020/21 season, and will be 33 by then. It is thought unlikely that Messi would ever move to another European club – he has previously said that he would like to finish his career at the Camp Nou – with the possibility he may return to his boyhood club in Argentina to finish his playing career.
A move to Miami could prove tempting – wages would probably be no object – and high profile stars such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic have thrived in the the MLS.
But Inter Miami have made no contact with Messi as yet – nor any other potential players – but he would be an obvious choice for a club with huge ambition.
The final match of this round of Premier League matches is a south coast derby, with Southampton hosting Brighton & Hove Albion at St Marys. Both sides have had OK starts to the season, but are wanting to push into the top half of the table. The match kicks off at 8pm and it is live on Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Main Event. Here are the factz you need to know:
* Last season, both matches ended 1-1. The sides have already met this season, in the Carabao Cup, with Saints prevailing 1-0.
* Both sides have 4 points so far, so a win for either side will see them go 10th in the PL. A draw will see them stay in 13th and 14th place.
* Southampton have won just 1 of their past 13 home matches, with 6 defeats.
* However, Brighton are awful away from home. They have yet to pick up a point or even score away from the Amex Stadium this season, and only won 11 points on the road in 2017/18.
* Saints are the only side to not sure in the first half of a PL match this season.